1. Published the telecommunications and audiovisual sector economic report 2021
The National Markets and Competition Commission (CNMC) has published the Telecommunications and Audiovisual Sector Economic Report 2021.
FISCAL 2021 HIGHLIGHTS
- The retail revenues were mostly stable compared to 2020.
- The four main telecommunications operators represented the 84.9% of total retail revenues.
- Penetration of all the final services increased, with the exception of fixed telephony.
- Quad and quintuple packages as a whole decreased in 2021.
- The average expenditure of quadruple-pack homes decreased considerably.
- Investment in the sector exceeded 7.5 billion.
- Employment in the sector grew for the second consecutive year and increased by 5% in 2021.
- Progress in the deployment of Next Generation Access (NGA) networks.
- Expansion of mobile service coverage with 4G technology and significant deployment of 5G networks in their first year of service.
Audiovisual Services Highlights
- Recovery of advertising revenues
The advertising revenues in the audiovisual services market increased a 9% to 1,974.5 million euros. This number shows a recovery from the decline experienced in 2020 (COVID-19 confinement period) but without matching the values of 2019.
- The number of subscribers to “traditional” pay audiovisual services decreases slightly
In line with previous years, in 2021 continued the progressive increase of subscribers to pay audiovisual services. However, a decrease in the number of subscribers to “traditional” pay-TV platforms was observed in 2021 for the first time.
- Subscriptions to OTT audiovisual content platforms reach 18.9 million subscribers
This number includes, for the first time in this sector report, the subscribers of the major online streaming pay-TV platforms (Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, HBO and Disney+),
The figure refers to the number of contracts that pay a regular membership fee for the service.
By Spain Audiovisual Hub
Are you still not subscribed to their newsletter? If you want you can do it right here.