At the Spanish Association of Advertising Producers (APCP) we are actively working to include sustainability criteria in audiovisual productions.
We have been committed to the quality of advertising productions for years. Through the APCP Guarantee Seal verified by AENOR it is guaranteed that all production companies belonging to the APCP comply with the legal and service quality requirements that all members unanimously set in 2014. Within these, sustainability plays an important role.
The year 2021 has been particularly outstanding for us, as it was declared the International Year of the Creative Economy for Sustainable Development at the 74th General Assembly of the United Nations. As an industry linked to creativity and culture, there is no better way for us to contribute with our activity to protect the planet and improve people’s lives.
Inspired by the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), agreed by all Member States of the United Nations in 2015, we continue to work on developing proposals and tools that promote and facilitate the use of environmentally, socially and economically sustainable practices in the different phases and departments involved in the making of advertising productions.
Below, you will find various resources of interest developed by different entities of the sector around the world on the so-called ‘Green Production’ or ‘Green Shooting’.
GUIDES AND COMMANDMENTS
- Spanish Association of Advertising Producers (APCP) – Green Shooting Guidelines (available in English)
- PROMÁLAGA y Málaga Film Office (Spain): Sustainable filming guide (available in Spanish) and 10 commandments of sustainable filming (available in Spanish).
- Tenerife Film Commission (Spain): Decalogue of good practices for sustainable audiovisual productions (available in Spanish, English y German).
- Asturias Film Commission (Spain): Green Shooting Decalogue (available in Spanish).
- AICP Green Guidelines (US): Green Production Practices (available in English).
- Green Production Guide (EE.UU.): Green Production Guide’s Toolkit (available in English)
- Ecoprod (France): Practical guide for organic production (available in French and English) and Practical sheets by department (available in French).
- Albert (United Kingdom): Departmental Councils (available in English).
- Green Screen(United Kingdom): Green Tips (available in English).
- Greeen Filmaking (Países Bajos): Departmental advice (available in English y Dutch) and Sustainable Production Guide (available in Ducth).
- Green Film Shooting (Germanty): The Green Alphabet: the ABC of sustainability (available in English).
- Filmförderung Hamburg Schleswig-Holstein (Germany): Good Practice Guide (available in English and German).
- MFG Baden-Württemberg (Germany): Guide for departmental green shoots (available in German) and Guide for resource-saving and sustainable production (available in German).
- Vlaams Audiovisueel Fonds (Belgium): Sustainable Production Manual (available in Dutch)and Departmental Good Practice Guides (available in Dutchn).
- Screen.brussels Film Commission (Belgium): Brochure for eco-friendly filming in the city (available in English, French and Dutch).
- Creative BC (Canada): Departmental good practice guide (available in English).
- Republic of Everyone & GreenShoot Pacific (Australia): The Good Green Production Bible (available in English).
- Screen Ireland: Green Production Toolkit (available in English)
Carbon footprint calculators are one of the most useful tools for assessing the environmental impact of audiovisual productions. There are different proposals, for example:
- The Spanish Ministry for Ecological Transition has designed a carbon footprint carbon footprint calculator for organizations (available in Spanish) and a document with instructions (available in Spanish). There are more resources available in Spanish on their website.
- Promálaga has a simple calculator in Excel format, accompanied by a user manual (available in Spanish).
- BAFTA has developed the ALBERT calculator (available in English).
- PGA has developed its Production Environmental Accounting Report (PEAR), the calculator used by the main Hollywood production companies.
- Ecoprod works with its own CARBON CLAP (available in French).
- VAF offers its CO2-calculator (available in Dutch).
- MFG Baden-Württemberg (Germany) has its own CO2-calculator CO2-calculator (available in German).
- Lights! Cameras! Clean Energy!: A Guide to Integrating Clean Energy Norms into Popular Television and Film Production Content (2018). A report written by the Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) for the PGA, with information aimed at raising awareness and facilitating the incorporation of sustainability criteria in film and television productions.